Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 | SEO | No Comments
Anyone who spotted the Periodic Table of SEO Ranking Factors as featured on SearchEngineLand.com will know this quirky little illustration summed up basic ranking factors in a niffty graphic that people can share with their pals.
Now as previously mentioned social signals are important to driving traffic after all if you can get people to spread the word about you, your product or your service then volia! your reach increases considerably making it great for increasing traffic.
What to remember if producing an infographic-
- Make it simple – don’t over egg the pudding with snazzy graphics if it means the infrographic is confusing or does not tell a story
- Provide something useful – make sure that it has a “stickiness” to it, that people want to read on and find the information on it useful so they might want to pass it around
- Consider technical issues – the aim is to get people to share this so consider making that easy for them, offer them the code to embed on their own sites and blogs, don’t make the image too large in physical size and file size
- Include a back link – now you want people to share this but if they are going to find it useful enough to promote on their own websites why not ensure that in the embed code you include a back link to your site to help with link building
- Optimise the image – if your subject is around stats on a certain subject ensure the title etc is relevant to a search around this subject. Also make use of the ALT and TITLE attribute to allow for it to be found via Google images.
- Make it relevant – make sure it relates to you, your business or your service, develop a page to place it on and optimise this page around the subject of the inforgraphic to allow for a better chance of this page ranking. (don’t forget all your share buttons and embedded code elements on this page also)
And there you go. Whether you are producing an infographic for link baiting, link building or to help drive traffic and increase your reach bear one thing in mind…make it shareable!
Thursday, June 30th, 2011 | SEO | No Comments
Its been a busy couple of weeks for Google, with the launch of their +1 and Google+ set to rival Facebook they are proving to have their finger on the pulse when it comes to becoming more social after appearing to be a little reluctant to jump on the social band wagon.
Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools have added new tools for tracking the impact of tweets, likes, +1s & more on your website’s traffic.
Google Webmaster Tools now allows you to report on the impact of the +1 Button and how this can affect your click through rate. You can also view the new “Activity Report” within Webmaster Tools which will help you see how many +1’s your site pages have received
A great new tool launched within Google Analytics is the Social Plugin Tracking tools. This not only tracks +1s but other Social Signals such as Twitter tweets, Facebook Likes and Facebook Sends.
Google recently admitted that Social Signals now do play a part in ranking success and this is backed up in a study by SEOmoz’s Rand Fishkin for the new Ranking Factors for 2011 have been revealed with Social Signals play a significant part.
The Social Plugin Tracking allows you to create three reports: Social Engagement, Social Actions and Social Pages.
Social Engagement tracks behavior changes (time on site, pageviews, bounce rate, etc.) for visits from social plugins.
Social Actions tracks the number of social actions users take on your site,
Social Pages compares your pages on the number of social actions they are receiving.
These new tools offers a greater insight into Social Signals and the impact of such on your website. Especially how Social Signals are driving traffic to your website.
This is invaluable data and means web masters can better devise a social strategy to aid website rankings.